How do you get the most beautiful lawn on your street? Follow these lawn mowing tips to make your lawn healthy and the envy of your neighborhood.
1) Mow your lawn when the grass is dry. Wet grass tends to clog the mower which can leave clumps of grass on the lawn. Morning is the usually the best time to mow because the ground is damp and the grass is dry.
2) Always practice safety first when operating a lawn mower. Keep children and pets inside your home, when you are mowing the lawn. Hands and feet should be away from the lawn mower blade when operating the lawn mower. Read the Honda Lawn Mower Manual for safety information, maintenance schedule and operating instructions. When the mower is off, inspect the mower’s blade to make sure it is sharp. If the blade is dull, bring it to us. United Ag & Turf can help with blade sharpening or a new blade if one is desired.
3) Identify the grass type to determine the mowing height. The height that the grass should be cut varies depending on the grass type and geographic location.
Grass Type Recommended Mowing Height
Kentucky Bluegrass: 2 – 2 ½”
Fine Fescue: 2 – 2 ½”
Tall Fescue: 2 – 3”
St. Augustine: 2 ½ - 3”
Centipede: 1 ½ - 2”
Perennial Ryegrass: 1 ½ - 2 ½”
Bermuda: 1 – 1 ½”
Zoysia: 1 – 1 ½”
4) Cutting too much grass can damage your lawn and is the leading cause of poor cut quality. Never cut more than 1/3 of the grass height, at a time.
5) Remove debris from your lawn. This includes branches, leaves, rocks and pet waste. Remember to avoid hitting sprinkler heads, when mowing your lawn.
6) Each time you mow your lawn, use a different mowing pattern. This can be done by changing the direction the lawn is mowed. For example, change the direction from horizontal rows one week to vertical rows, the next week.
7) And of course, choose a Honda mower for the best cut! Honda’s technology keeps its lawn mowers on the cutting edge. The Honda HRX and HRR Lawn Mowers have the exclusive Twin Blade Advantage. This is how it works: your lawn is cut with each rotation of the Microcut® Twin Blades. Then it is cut again, for a smooth, even surface. When bagging, you’ll empty the bag less often because the smaller clippings allow your bag to hold more.
United Ag & Turf can help you choose the right Honda mower for your lawn. Stop by and see us in Rhome, TX!